" A photo is a return ticket to a moment in time"

Wednesday, 16 January 2013

One Year later .......



Image taken January 2013

In the last year much has happened in my photography world mainly due to the purchase of my first ever DSLR camera. My aim was to take close-up photos of flowers - food  and other bits and pieces
I used the P setting and with my zoom lens captured anything and everything that stood still.

After seeing some of the wonderful macro photography from other blog-sites around the world
 I realised if I wanted to improve I must get to know my camera and learn the skills required to take
good pics and so I commenced with what I love ... Macro Photography and have applied the
techniques for creating shallow depth of field photos with the subject highlighted while the
 background remains nicely blurred.

The photo below was taken almost a year ago when I was more than happy to click
away on my new camera - the above image was taken a few weeks ago using the
Manual setting and taking my time over things like aperture speed and spot metering.
I don't always get it perfect but I love the challenge.

This is my contribution to the first of City Daily Photo's
 "Festival of the Belly Button"



Image taken January 2012

This year maybe night-photography or portraiture or ....

Posted by Picasa

18 comments:

Joe said...

Great post Dianne. There is always much to learn. The improvement in your camera technique is impressive. Cheers J.

Nicki said...

You will love photography even more now that you are on Manual. It makes it more challenging - but also more rewarding and eventually it will become second nature. These are both lovely floral shots. Best wishes on your photography journey.

Joan Elizabeth said...

I dunno, if I am in close my camera does a nice background blur without me having to do any manual fiddling.

The only time I seem to ever have to fiddle with aperture settings is if I am doing a landscape and want to blur the background.

I love photography but just can't make myself interested in manual settings and spot metering even though I have tried. I am glad you are making a better fist of it.

Valerie said...

An exquisite capture Dianne - congrats on your perseverance!

Cezar and Léia said...

I'm always learning with my blog friends, your photography is very professional, I love your creative ideas!You are very talented! :)
Léia

Jack said...

Your biggest photographical asset is your wonderful eye. As they say, it is the photographer, not the camera.

Fun60 said...

They are both beautiful photographs. You obviously have an excellent eye for floral subjects.

Taken For Granted said...

It's always good to learn the craft of photography (aperture, shutter speed, and their influence of depth of field, and the like), but the art of photography is, as Jack said, all in the eye and mind. There is always more "craft" to learn. But there is nothing wrong with your photographic eye.

Julie said...

Hello Dianne. Thank you for participating in the first Festival of the Belly Button on the City Daily Photo portal.

You have chosen two gorgeous photos to analyse your own craft. Photography is such a creative outlet, isn't it. I am so pleased for you that you have persevered with the technical issues to give yourself maximum control.

I would love to see you branch out into either night=photography or portraiture. I challenge myself with new avenues on a regular basis. Good to keep the old grey matter ticking over.

I enjoyed reflecting upon your post. Thank you.

Jim said...

Great post, Dianne. You've gone into great detail.

Stephanie said...

And here I thought you had been using the Manual setting all year. It is great fun using manual setting as you have more freedom to do what you want than the other settings. Do you do raw images as well? Oh I almost forgot, gorgeous flowers! So nice to see bright colors.

LONDONLULU said...

Beautiful macro detail and also loved what you said! Both pictures are gorgeous, which goes to show it's true what they say - it's the photographer not the camera:)

Ann said...

there's been a definite improvement in your photography, and its not just the camera. The top photo is stunning.

darlin said...

It's amazing how much we can learn, the only problem with me it seems the more I learn the more I come to understand how little I actually know! Good for you to keep on learning, with photos there's always something to learn I believe.

Have a wonderful weekend and happy shooting! :-)

Rae Walter said...

Fabulous shot Dianne. Your perseverance has really paid off.

missing moments said...

I so need to step up my skills. Lovely lovely.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Ditto what Jack said, its not the camera its the person using it. Sounds like you are so enjoying the challenge that is 'manual' Dianne.

Nathalie said...

Dianne what a learning curve!
Congratulations on the fantastic improvement in your photographic skills. Your two before/after photos say it all. The most recent one is beautifully composed and lit.
You can rightly be proud of your progress. Keep going!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...