Saturday, 10 March 2012

Bella-Donna or Naked Lady ......





~ Amaryllis Belladonna ~

I grew up calling these beautiful pink flowers Easter Lillies
because they always heralded the onset of the Easter season
In some areas they are referred to as Jersey Lillies or Naked Ladies!!
nothing naked about these ladies .... they are clothed in the prettiest of attire


The white stamens indicate a young flower and to me
 this is when they are at their loveliest.



Apparently in some areas they are classified as an enviromental weed
due to their toxic properties -  I see them popping up in the most
unexpected places ... old church-yards ..derelict farm houses
along country roads .... adding their brush of pink to the most
 monotone of landscapes




Posted by Picasa

20 comments:

Nadege, said...

My next door neighbor's are just budding at the moment. I think they are quite lovely.

Andrew said...

They are quite like a nerine, which also pop in the grounds of old churces and old houses.

Joan Elizabeth said...

Yep they are popping up in my garden this morning. I consider them the heralds of Autumn.

Carole M. said...

I have noted them around of late also; they're from yesteryear and I love them; beautiful photos

Cezar and Léia said...

Beautiful photographs, so crisp!
God bless you!
Cezar

eileeninmd said...

Gorgeous blooms and lovely photos. I hope you have a happy weekend!

Randi said...

Terrific captures! I love this flower!

Valerie said...

Very pretty captures Dianne. Have a blessed weekend!

EG CameraGirl said...

Some names I'll never understand, but for sure these are beautiful!

Rae Walter said...

Beautiful captures Dianne. I love seeing these or flowers like these popping up although can also understand their invasion of the natural environment is a concern.

Stephanie said...

It is too bad it is a weed as it is a beautiful looking flower and coloring to it. Nice shot!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Dianne,

Your photographs are so beautiful, love the pretty pink.
My Mother always had these growing in the garden and made such a pretty show.

Happy Sunday
Hugs
Carolyn

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Well, they can pop up in my garden any time they like. Beautifully composed shots.

Joe said...

Hard to imagine that in some places they are considered noxious weeds.

Mark said...

Yes they mean Autumn to me as well. I think they called them Naked Ladies because they pop up from the ground before the leaves.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Both gorgeous images but the second image is exquisite Dianne, these lily's are to Autumn what the freesias are to spring and the rose to summer for me.

Ce. said...

Beautiful!

Emille said...

Can't imagine classifying this flower as a weed! They look gorgeous!

Melissah from Coastal Style said...

They are few too beautiful to be considered a noxious weed!
x
Melissah

Karin M. said...

Wow ... amazing ...
Greetings Karin.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...